Something Of Interest?

Talk about anything.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

What's the difference between a hijab, niqab and burka?

Post by Webscout » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:13 pm

What's the difference between a hijab, niqab and burka?

Code: Select all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/24118241

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Canada’s refusal of Jewish ship emboldened Hitler

Post by Webscout » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Canada’s refusal of Jewish ship emboldened Hitler, Trudeau says during formal apology

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-says-canadas-1939-refusal-to-accept-ship-of-jewish-refugees/

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Electric Car--the Truth?

Post by Webscout » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:18 am

Electric Car--the Truth?

As an engineer, I love the electric vehicle technology. However, I have been troubled for a long time by the fact that the electrical energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure. Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited. A friend sent me the following that says it very well. You should all take a look at this short article.
INTERESTING - ONE OTHER QUESTION: IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!
In case you were thinking of buying a hybrid or an electric car:
Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it. This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to
Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.
At a neighborhood BBQ, I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious. If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp services. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.
This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead-end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.
If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway. It's enlightening.
Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine ." Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh batteries is approximately 270 miles.
It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip, your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kWh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kWh. 16 kWh x $1.16 per kWh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles =$0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
The gasoline-powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000-plus. So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Something Of Interest?

Post by Webscout » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

From a friend..
Rob, interesting article a little skewed. One of our neighbors has a Tesla Sedan S, that’s the big 4-door sedan, I’ve ridden it. He had a 220 volt line installed, think it was $2,500. So, the electrical comparison that you would use your house 100 Watt service would be very inefficient which is actually pointed out in the article. You add the charge time to your travel time. He charges the Tesla overnight, so that’s really not an issue. His average electrical bill is $60.00 per month, he drives the Tesla, endlessly. What I do agree with is that the electric vehicles for me are way too expensive, gone is that big huge combustion engine replaced by a battery pack, which for some reason (rare metal elements) is very expensive, so something new in battery tech has to be developed or mass scale production to bring down costs. The gasoline engine are dirty and pollute. They are expensive to maintain and fix. As to electical costs, we pay three times what Americans pay for electricity. Quebec charges it’s customers 50% less for electricity than we pay in Ontario and we could have bought our electrical needs from Quebec. Road tax pays for highways, that was true in America never in Canada, its a myth carried over from seeing the U.S. model. Canada, Ontario take tax money form any pot to pay for whatever. But, the argument supports the oil companies. Thanks for sharing, appreciate knowing that there are diehards who want the gas guzzlers, they’re cheap and plentiful, used prices are very attractive. And, look at all the high powered big expensive SUV’s and sedans that Canadians are driving. I’m sure the Governments want that to continue because there’s triple taxation at the pumps and what’s more we’ve got Alberta heavy crude oil, lots of it. Cheers! RP
-------
ME...
Also one could add the amount of electic power used in Quebec...(now stopped I believe)

Also one could discuss the amount of electic power used in Quebec re cryptocurrency...(now stopped I believe)

IN-DEPTH
Bitcoin miners are eating up Canada’s electricity
Electricity grids inundated with demand from cryptocurrency operations drawn to cold climate, cheap electricity

https://thenarwhal.ca/bitcoin-miners-are-eating-up-canadas-electricity/

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

THE CARAVAN OF CRAP

Post by Webscout » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:39 am

THE CARAVAN OF CRAP (as sent to me)

The Hondurans in the caravan, the 7,000 people walking north to America , where do they go to the bathroom?

And eat and sleep and store their clothes?

And how is it that after a week on the road they are clean and their hair and clothes are well kept?

How is any of this possible?

And why do these people, supposedly fleeing intolerable conditions in their homeland, carry little flags from their homeland and break into its national anthem when the TV cameras show up?

And speaking of which, for oppressed people, they all seem to be pretty well fed, well groomed and well dressed. Their hair is neat and newly cut, their clothes are clean and in good repair, and they are built like people who have had ample nutrition all their lives, being well developed and, many of them, overweight.

And none of them look dirty or unkempt, like they had been sleeping on the ground for the last week.

There’s just nothing in any of this that makes sense.

Supposedly, these several thousand people spontaneously decided to leave Honduras , walking north in a group, hoping to trek the length of gang-plagued Mexico and present themselves as refugees and prospective Democrats at the American border.

Which, again, makes no sense whatsoever.

And leaves a lot of big questions unanswered, and ignored by the press. Such as, who organized this? Who is paying for it? How have they covered 500 miles in a week?

Seriously. Any number of American “reporters” have walked beside a sympathetic walker and talked about how this particular woman and her children had trekked half a thousand miles over the last week or so.

That’s 71 miles a day.

The best soldiers through history have been able to march 25 miles a day.

How have 7,000 people been fed and watered? And how have they gone to the bathroom? If the average person across the world produces about a pound of solid waste a day, that means that these folks are somehow disposing of more than three tons of feces each day.

That’s a heck of a lot of crap, even for a Central American roadway.

Provisioning such an army of people – the equivalent of 10 combat battalions in most of the world’s militaries – is a large task. Transporting and distributing the food and water necessary to keep those people moving is a massive chore which the press says nothing about.

The entire enterprise, as a spontaneous ad hoc event, is implausible.

As an orchestrated international attempt to influence an American election, it starts to make sense.

And ought to alarm us.

Unless it’s only Russians we don’t want screwing with our democracy.

Unfortunately, none of this has made the evening news. It’s almost as if the press, in whatever scheme is afoot, gladly accepts its role as propagandists to the American people.

Every story is sympathetic, as if an attempt to enlist viewers and readers in this caravan and the politics it symbolizes.

And so the story is not about an orchestrated attempt to manipulate electoral opinion and violate the borders and laws of the United States , it is about compassion and Trump and xenophobia and racism. It is the October surprise, it is the Blue Wave.

And it is all nonsense.

Because all of these people, if legitimate, have the ability to apply for American asylum in their own country – as do the residents of most nations of the world. We have consulates and embassies for a reason, and this is one of those reasons.

We also have laws and an oath of office for a reason.

Laws, so that “we the people” through our elected representatives clearly and systematically govern our society. Law is the means by which the people express and exercise their sovereignty. Disobedience to law is disobedience to the will of the people, it is the subverting of their sovereignty and franchise.

Breaking the law is denying you the vote. Your vote elects representatives – lets you pick the country’s direction – and the representatives write the law. If that law is ignored, your representation becomes meaningless.

You get screwed.

And the oath of office?

Members of Congress – even Democrats – swear an oath to “bear true faith and allegiance” to the Constitution, which establishes our system of laws and specifically charges the Congress with making the rules of naturalization and immigration.

Who comes across the border and under what conditions they can stay is a constitutional responsibility of the Congress. That is to be determined by a congressional vote, not by a Honduran mob.

Failure to insist on that – even for Democrats – is a violation of your congressman’s oath of office.

So there is not a Democrat or Republican response to this travelling army of invaders – there is only an American response.

And that is: Turn around and go home.

Because the law of the United States does not allow a mass entry like this. The law does not declare the borders open.

If Democrats and progressives don’t like that, they can try to change the law. If America ’s progressives want open borders and believe all the world’s people have a right to live in the United States – as they say they do – then they should adjust immigration law accordingly.

But until then, if they are to keep their oaths of office, they must stand for the law and the border.

And they must tell their surrogates to turn around and go home.

Because this caravan is nothing more than a bunch of political shit.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

How to turn a negative thought into a positive one

Post by Webscout » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm

How to turn a negative thought into a positive one

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/careers/workplace-award/article-how-to-turn-a-negative-thought-into-a-positive-one/

Lordjet

Something Of Interest

Post by Lordjet » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:06 pm

you are right, my cousins and I had the "chore" of cranking the ice cream machine every Sunday in the summer when we had our family picnics. I think the ice cream probably did taste better. We always had several big watermelons cooling in the "crick" for several hours and the got cut up in early evening after everyone was relaxing after the days activities.

I try to do/teach them something new/different when they visit, be it for the day or for a week. They are at the age that maybe theyll retain some of it.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

FileFactory Sale...Thanksgiving

Post by Webscout » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 am

FileFactory Sale...Thanksgiving

https://mailchi.mp/filefactory/filefactorypremiumflashsale-21169

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Real-- 'Bad Blood'

Post by Webscout » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:55 am

The Real-- 'Bad Blood'
‘It opens up an underworld:' How a drug plea has exposed a Mafia network in Hamilton Ontario Canada

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-it-opens-up-an-underworld-how-a-drug-plea-has-exposed-a-mafia/

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:46 pm

he attended Catholic high school, that's where it all started.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Lucky me...I did not...

This is like in my own back yard.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

The Weight I Carry

Post by Webscout » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 am

The Weight I Carry

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/01/weight-loss-essay-tomlinson/579832/

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

CES 2019

Post by Webscout » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm

CES 2019

https://gizmodo.com/the-weird-bizarre-and-amusing-tech-at-ces-2019-1831680024
https://gizmodo.com/tag/ces-2019

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Saw these 2 words in the newspaper today-Jab 22/19

Post by Webscout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 am

Saw these 2 words in the newspaper today

:idea: pro·bi·ty
/ˈprōbədē/Submit
nounFORMAL
the quality of having strong moral principles; honesty and decency.
"financial probity"
synonyms: integrity, honesty, uprightness, decency, morality, rectitude, goodness, virtue, right-mindedness, trustworthiness, truthfulness, honor, honorableness, justice, fairness, equity;
-----
:idea: im·prov·i·dent
/ˌimˈprävəd(ə)nt/Submit
adjective
not having or showing foresight; spendthrift or thoughtless.
"improvident and undisciplined behavior"
synonyms: spendthrift, thriftless, unthrifty, wasteful, prodigal, profligate, extravagant, squandering, uneconomical, free-spending, lavish, immoderate, excessive;

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

What is the most invaded country in history?

Post by Webscout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:53 pm

What is the most invaded country in history?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-invaded-country-in-history