Moderator: Global Moderator

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Solo: A Star Wars Story - Movie Review

Post by Dude » Tue May 29, 2018 8:28 pm

​Solo: A Star Wars Story

movie review

I really like all Star Wars movies, but this one is definitely towards the bottom of the Star Wars list.

It had some funny scenes, and most of the time things kept moving at a good pace, but there were a few spots where it was dragging a little, they could have cut a half hour out of the movie and made it better.

It was fun to see where some of the Hans Solo things came from, and that part I liked.

I thought they could have done a better job picking an actor to play Hans Solo, I just didn't feel he did the character justice, he was ok, but I just expected more.

Despite many high points, the movie feels just a little long and gets convoluted toward the end, they drop a lot of names, and although I am a star wars fan I do not have each and every character in the franchise memorized. So some of that was lost on me.

This was the first Star Wars movie where I am not 100% sure it must be seen at the movie theatre, I might have been just as happy watching it at home.

Trivia

The Golden Idol (Fertility Idol) from the opening scene of Raiders Of The Lost Ark can be seen sitting on a table in the meeting room of Paul Bettany's character Dryden Vos. Harrison Ford who originally played Han Solo also played Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Director Ron Howard confirmed this Easter egg on Twitter.

In the mine elevator on Kessell, Chewbacca tears a guard's arms out of his sockets. This refers to a line spoken by Han in the original 'Star Wars.'

This is the first live action Star Wars film not to feature The two most famous droids, R2-D2 and C-3PO or mention the Jedi order

L3-37's name comes from the writing system known as leet. A popular form of writing on the Internet, it is when the writer uses numbers and symbols to replace similar looking letters (i.e. turning LEET into 1337).

The first Star Wars film NOT to use the quote "I've got a bad feeling about this!" The quote was introduced by Han Solo in "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope", and had become synonymous with the Star Wars franchise. Han Solo actually says "I've got a good feeling about this!" in "Solo."

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story - Movie Review

Post by Webscout » Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 am

I have not seen this film so I cannot comment with any credibility but somehow I think I might agree with you and more. I remember the first Star Wars that our family of 4 saw, in Winnipeg. It was 'out of this world'. Who knows, maybe Hobby was in the audience? :g

I recently watched a bit of Black Panther and I am getting 'big block buster film fatigue'. I find myself checking the clock, how much more to go. I can't get no satisfaction.

After I watch many of these films I am left with little feeling. However. the technology in film making etc is incredible.

For Critics Reviews

Code: Select all

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=67IOW_vEC8a3jwSe147IBA&q=star+wars+review+solo&oq=star+wars+review+s&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0j0i22i30k1l9.2348.26924.0.28965.19.14.0.4.4.0.121.1227.11j3.14.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.18.1243.0..35i39k1j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i131i67k1j0i10k1.0.5btHmp5ySGw

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 am

I remember standing in line for 5 hours to see the first Star Wars movie, it was so amazing at the time.
Now I think everyone is doing it so you can't just show a space ship jumping to light speed and call it a movie,

There are so many movies with special effects that are amazing now that everyone expects to see that,
but even though I would agree with you that a lot of the new movies are boring and not really worth watching,
I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was extremely good,

and Avatar did a great job of making something original even though it's almost 10 years old now.

Solo seemed to me they just went back and copied a bunch of stuff from the old movies, I think that's what many of the movies are doing and it just does not make a good movie any more.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:14 am

I am find more enjoyment with many TV series.

The Americans- just finalized and with a great ending.

johnisasmith

Post by johnisasmith » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:18 am

Webscout wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:14 am
I am find more enjoyment with many TV series.

The Americans- just finalized and with a great ending.
They should make another TV series "The Americans: The Next Generation" taking place few years later where Henry joins FBI counterintelligence division, Russian section and is the rising star under agent Stan Beeman wings.

Paige follows her parents steps and becomes the best Russian spy in America.

Lets just hope that somebody in charge of this TV series gets the same idea. :D

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 am

What made me laff....Paige Jennings (Holly Taylor is a CDN actress)....she would have a CDN Passport :)