Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

CDN-An heir's guide to furniture, china, glassware, art and more

Post by Webscout » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:27 am

Monday, July 17, 2017
An heir's guide to furniture, china, glassware, art and more
Lynne Butler-Lawyer East Coast Canada

Executors who are preparing estate inventories often find household items the hardest to valuate. This is especially true of collections of items such as china, silver, books, coins, or stamps that you know the deceased spent thousands of dollars to purchase. My clients have told me time and again that household items that they expected would be valuable turn out to have no value or very little.

This is often a tough situation for executors and family members because there is a sentimental value to some items. The wedding china that your Mom picked out so carefully and lovingly 60 years ago may seem as if it should be priceless, but to the rest of the world, it's not.

I've found a good article at -see below- that talks about how to place a value on some of the items our parents collected and that we are now dealing with in their estates. The article gets pretty specific about individual manufacturers' names and useful websites, so it's definitely worth a look. See below to see the article.

By the way, this site has other good articles on similar topics that executors and beneficiaries alike might find useful.

If I could add one tip that applies to my fellow Newfoundlanders and Labradorians in dealing with estate collections, it would be to check with the Centre for Newfoundland Studies at Memorial University. They might be interested in books, pamphlets, photographs, slides, magazines, videos, catalogs, souvenir programs, menus from old restaurants, posters, maps, dairies, or correspondence, as long as those items have something to add to the history of our province. You won't get money for them, but they'll have found a home.
[HIDE]

Code: Select all

http://www.nextavenue.org/nobody-wants-parents-stuff/
http://www.nextavenue.org/know-parents-stuff-value/
[/HIDE]

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Notorious jewel thief Doris Payne arrested at Walmart: police

Post by Webscout » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:59 am

Notorious jewel thief Doris Payne arrested at Walmart: police
[HIDE]

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/notorious-jewel-thief-doris-payne-arrested-at-walmart-police/article35728514/
[/HIDE]

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

CDN -The Law Show discusses 'adult guardianship'

Post by Webscout » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Saturday, July 29, 2017
The Law Show discusses 'adult guardianship'

The latest episode of The Law Show is online and ready for listening for those of you who haven't heard it yet. This week (July 27, 2017) we talked about adult guardianship. We discussed who can apply, what happens when one sibling doesn't agree, achieving the balance between helping and imposing, and much more. We also discussed the logistics of the application procedure, including getting a bond. To hear the show, Link here http://vocm.com/shows/weekly-on-vocm/th ... d-estates/. The newest episodes are at the top of the list. For information as to the topics covered in the previous episodes, check out the list of shows to the right hand side of this blog.

The book we mentioned in this episode is "Protect Your Elderly Parents: Become Your Parent's Guardian and Trustee". Link here http://www.butlerwillsandestates.com/books to see more. It is packed with information about how to fill the role, what to do and not to do, and how to know when to step in. It also has the forms needed to apply for guardianship in most provinces in Canada.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

I'm a funeral director - screaming fights, drunken propositions, and blasting Nirvana

Post by Webscout » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 am

Wednesday, August 9, 2017
I'm a funeral director - screaming fights, drunken propositions, and blasting Nirvana are part of my job
Lynne Butler-Lawyer-East Coast Canada

You'd think that by now I'd be used to almost anything families can come up with. Yet an article I recently read called "I'm a funeral director - screaming fights, drunken propositions, and blasting Nirvana are part of my job" by Morty Portaro was both hilarious and eye-opening. All of you people who tell me you're embarrassed by your family should read this because you will instantly feel that your lot are not so bad after all. Click [HIDE]

http://www.businessinsider.com/true-stories-from-my-life-as-a-funeral-director-2017-7
[/HIDE] to read the article.

Ordering pizza to the funeral? Wearing a bikini? Hitting your brother with a lamp at the funeral home? You'd think you wouldn't have to tell people not to do such things, but apparently we do.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

The Law Show explains and explores words and phrases you've seen in wills

Post by Webscout » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 am

Thursday, August 10, 2017
Newest episode of The Law Show explains and explores words and phrases you've seen in wills
Lynne Butler-East Coast Canada.

:spin:OF NOTE-
Butler Wills and Estates rated #1 estate planning firm in St. John's

I'm pleased and proud to announce that we've been rated the #1 estate planning law firm in St. John's for the second time! Not bad for a business that has only been open for two years. We opened this office with the goal of providing the best service and information we can at reasonable prices. It feels good to know that we're providing what people want.

Another great episode of The Law Show is now online on w*w.vocm.com for you to listen. This week we are talking about words and phrases used in estate planning and estate administration. We started with some easy definitions, then got into ideas such as how encroachments should work, what you can do with trusts, what a codicil should say, and other practical tips. :)[HIDE]

http://vocm.com/shows/weekly-on-vocm/the-law-show-with-butler-wills-and-estates/  
[/HIDE]to listen online. Scroll down to the episode you want (newest on are on the top). And as always, feedback and ideas are welcome.

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

The LEGAL/JUSTICE POST

Post by Dude » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:03 am

it's amazing what you can learn online.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't. 

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

The LEGAL/JUSTICE POST

Post by Webscout » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am

I take part in her blog and offer my 2 cents.....while lawyers charge hundreds...

There is a lot on the internet that can help let alone save a lot of money. Every word out of a lawyers mouth will prob cost $1 or so.
It does not hurt to know a little about the topic before contacting a lawyer. Better able to understand and also better able ask pertinent and intelligent questions. The lawyer then knows he has to alter his BS ...speak (narative). :D

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

The Law Show: Practical tips and how-tos for executors and beneficiaries

Post by Webscout » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:22 am

Thursday, August 17, 2017
The Law Show: Practical tips and how-tos for executors and beneficiaries
This week's (August 17, 2017) episode of The Law Show is online! This week we are talking about several practical tips and how-tos that executors and beneficiaries need to know. The idea behind it is that executors know they are supposed to do certain things - transfer a house to a beneficiary or open an estate bank account, for example - but they may not know how to go about it. So this week's program is packed with practical information you'll find useful. Click here to go to w*w.vocm.com and choose the episode you want.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

How to close online accounts and services when someone dies

Post by Webscout » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 am

Monday, August 21, 2017
How to close online accounts and services when someone dies

Executors, you will thank me for this one. I'm attaching a link to one of the most useful articles I've seen in a long time. It lists in alphabetical order about 180 different digital accounts and plans, with instructions on how to close those plans if the owner has passed away. Some are simple and others are not, but this list should save executors hours of frustration and searching. Click below to see the article.

It covers everything from Facebook to eBay.

You'll notice that pretty much every account of every kind requires you to know the deceased's email address and password. A few offer alternate means of closing accounts when you don't know the password but not many.

[HIDE]

https://www.everplans.com/articles/how-to-close-online-accounts-and-services-when-someone-dies
[/HIDE]

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Ex-Mountie wife killer costs family $45K fighting estate

Post by Webscout » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 am

Ex-Mountie wife killer costs family $45K fighting estate

This has to be one of the saddest and most frustrating stories I've heard in a long time.

CBC is reporting that Keith Weins, a former Mountie from BC who is in jail, having been convicted of killing his common law wife by shooting her during an argument, is suing her estate for a share of the assets. He is representing himself (either because he can't afford a lawyer or couldn't find one to take his case) and, in my opinion, is badly abusing the judicial system. CBC story. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-wife ... -1.4239974
The article says that the executor has so far spent $45,000 defending the estate from the husband's claims. It doesn't sound as if it's nearing a conclusion, either. Everyone in the family is upset, horrified, and frustrated.

The husband appears to be taking advantage of every loophole and every opportunity to delay and aggravate matters. I suppose when you're behind bars you have more time to devote to this kind of idiocy than most people do, and since he isn't using a lawyer he doesn't care what it costs.

Though most cases are not as dramatic as this one, I certainly see a number of cases in which one party is simply grabbing at every possible legal avenue for very little gain. They don't get financial gain from it; in fact, most times they lose money. It seems sometimes that all they really get out of it is annoying or upsetting the other parties. Perhaps what they hope to gain is causing the other people to be so fed up, they'll quit.

These are the days I wish we could tighten up the court system to prevent abuse. However, I don't really see how it can be done without limiting access by those who honestly do need the court's help. If only we could bring back common sense and common decency, maybe people would stop using the courts as hammers to hit each other with.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Bullet-proofing your will-CDN

Post by Webscout » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:04 am

Monday, August 28, 2017
The Law Show's latest episode now online: Bullet-proofing your will

The latest episode is online! This week (August 26, 2017) we talked about bullet-proofing your will - tips and tricks, and how to make the strongest will possible. The idea is to make a will that avoids disputes, delays, and extra costs. http://vocm.com/shows/weekends-on-vocm/ ... d-estates/ or www.vocm.com, then scroll to the episode you'd like to hear. You can hear them all for free, so listen to as many as you like.

For those listening live, the show has moved to Saturdays at 5:00 p.m. starting this week.

We've had such a great response from listeners! Thanks to everyone who has popped in or emailed to say they're tuning in. As always, we're open to feedback and to ideas for topics you'd like to hear about.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Haven't done your estate planning? No will in place? Then this cartoon is about you..

Post by Webscout » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:43 am

Haven't done your estate planning? No will in place? Then this cartoon is about you...(from Lynne Butler-Lawyer East CoastCanada)

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

USA-The First Step to Estate Planning: Estimate Your Net Worth

Post by Webscout » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 am

USA-The First Step to Estate Planning: Estimate Your Net Worth
[HIDE]

http://www.thecommonexecutor.com/the-first-step-to-estate-planning-estimate-your-net-worth/
[/HIDE]

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

The Law Show is now online: Digital Assets

Post by Webscout » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 am

Sunday, September 3, 2017
This week's episode of The Law Show is now online: Digital Assets (even if you think you don't have any)

Are you one of those people who think that you don't have digital assets? Most people who think that are wrong!

On this week's (Sept 2, 2017) episode of The Law Show, we are talking about digital assets. Tune in, and you might be surprised just how much this information applies to you. For those who didn't listen live, here http://vocm.com/shows/weekends-on-vocm/ ... d-estates/ and scroll down to the episode you want to hear. All episodes are online and free to listen to.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

DNA test proves woman who claimed part of Salvadore Dali's estate is not his child

Post by Webscout » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 am

Thursday, September 7, 2017
DNA test proves woman who claimed part of Salvadore Dali's estate is not his child
Lynne Butler- Lawyer Canada

When you're doing your estate planning, you probably try to anticipate the "what if" questions that seem reasonable. For example, what if my spouse dies before me? What if my executor refuses to take on the job? What if one of my children is still a minor when I pass away? Those are things that you can cover off in your will because you can anticipate they may happen.

But it seems there are some things you simply cannot anticipate. A case in point is a recent lawsuit brought by Pilar Abel, a Spanish woman, who claimed a share of the estate of the famous artist Salvador Dali. Ms. Abel claimed that she was his daughter, born as the result of an affair between Dali and her mother. Her claim was based on information she received from her grandmother and mother.

Salvador Dali's estate is held by a foundation created by the artist. The foundation denied the claim from the start. The latest development in the case is that DNA testing was done using Dali's exhumed body, and the results prove that Ms' Abel is not biologically related to Dali. To read more about this in a story from NPR, http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... foundation

Since Dali had probably never even heard of Ms. Abel, there was nothing he could have done to protect his estate from her claim. It's unfortunate that it had to go so far that a man's body was exhumed, no doubt at great expense and great upset to his family.

Did Ms. Abel solidly believe she was his daughter, or was this an opportunistic money-grab? We can only give her the benefit of the doubt.

The above photo of Salvador Dali accompanied the article in www.NPR.org and is credited to Eustache Cardenas/AP.
You might also like: