Just a funny question/thought/comment

Show your graphics talents in this section.
Raskel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raskel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:55 pm

OK....

Now i've been told that when i make a logo for the site it cannot exceed 20Kb, cuz of the modem users who need to load the logo every time..
Not totally agree with this, since browsers use a cache to store stuff, temporary or for the standard time, if the user didn't change it, believe it 7 days.
BUT!!

All of us, including the admins & mods, have a HUGE, and sometimes multiple graphic signature which I know for sure, exceeds the 20Kb multiple times.

Now you can tell me, yes, but that's not really a problem, since it's only a signature. I disagree partially with this, example:
My sig: 18Kb
Cheri: 1 x 26Kb and 1 x 316Kb (The fireworks one, it's temp, but counts)
MT: 1 @ 14Kb
100Bling: Well 0Kb atm :)
Penny: 1x 104Kb & 11Kb

These have to be loaded also every time the person looks into a thread that's created by one of us.. So you see, it all adds up in the final.. and we could, if we really wanted to, use a bigger size logo.. :)
But again, Browser Cache is the answer :) specially for modem users, crank up your cache space, the standard value is sufficient!

And I might hit a sensitive area here, but just my thought, blurred out on the forum..

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:35 pm

yes, I think you did hit a sensitive area,
you were not suppose to notice that. :D

But I think you are right and I should delete all the oversized signatures. I am going to start right now…

(just kidding)

I know firefox is really good (or bad depending on how you look at it) about storing images and not downloading them. I am not so sure about IE,

my original thinking was that people who had slower connections could turn the signatures off so they don't show if they wanted too.

but to be honest I really don't know how many people have done this,
or how many people use a modem to connect,
or even if they really think it is a problem or not.

I have had a couple people comment to me about the large signatures length wise making it harder to read the forum,
but none about the large graphics slowing the site down.

And if the majority of the users have high speed connections and want a larger banner then it’s not really fair to say that the majority must suffer because a few people may not have fast connections.

Personally I think I have one of the faster connections, so I don’t really notice a difference no matter what size it is.

So I suppose we can get some input from some others and say the majority rules and if no one complains then we can assume that it must not be bothering too many people.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't. 

Raskel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raskel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:45 pm

Long signatures are annoying, make a vertical banner as i've created for me, and you are done.. And I personally think that there are not many users with a 56K connection, cuz d/l a movie of 700Mb will take forever, even a program of 10Mb or so take a lifetime (We've had DSL here since 2005, I remember the "good" old time)
What about that poll I made, somewhere, about the connection speed, maybe we can make this a "Global" one and Title it: "We want to know your connection speed for a better forum experience"

Anywho's, happy you kinda agree with me :)

SirNissan

Post by SirNissan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:08 pm

I like it the way it is myself
I dont like my browser full screen happers posting:p

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 pm

I thought I added this before, but I can't find it now so I reposted it

how to not display long signatures

I also included it in the faq to make it easier to find later if you change your mind.

penny

Post by penny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:42 am

Ok, I have a blazing connection and a wildly fast computer, so I'm biased, but I like the signatures (of course I'm one of the offenders so kind of stands to reason, although I actually do try to keep mine to a standard size and don't do animated gifs (except for my little tiny sig at the bottom)), but that's for asthetics rather than connection speed.
I remember long ago, when I was doing websites for a living, it was standard practice to do a text version along with a graphics one and people were always whining about people on slow connections. Ok, I get that all is not the same in every country and being in Canada affords me the luxury of having a fast connection (even though I live in like, nowhere), but it seems to me it's like saying "Some people still have a horse and some have a racing car on the highway and therefore we should set the speed limit to the horse, just to be fair. The option to turn off sigs is available and if someone really can't handle them, or finds them annoying, then they can turn them off.
I enjoy them. It's like a little bit of someone's personality and when someone posts up a new one, I find that more interesting than many posts. It's like an art gallery sometimes.
Also, this is a sharing site. If you have such a slow connection that you can't handle graphics, how exactly are you downloading 14 gigs of stuff? (I picked that number because that's what I'm downloading at the moment). Next people will say there should be nothing over a certain size file, or that the file size should always be listed to let people know what they are in for...or because some don't want to buy a rapidshare account, posts with like, 50 sections shouldn't be allowed because if you are trying to download them with the free account it would take you the rest of your natural life.

I'm not a 'just the facts' kinda gal. I like the frills, more than the actual content. Like a present. I like presents, but they are so much more when wrapped in a unique and wonderful fashion and have a lovely card and are presented in a cool way...it makes the present a million times better. Honestly, you can find movies and warez all over the place (although ours are maintained at a higher than average level) but having a fun and interesting place to get stuff is as important as the stuff itself. Like a really swanky library with beautiful lighting and plants and wonderful decor and a helpful and friendly staff, is simply more fun to spend time at than a dusty dirty basement with nobody to help...even though they may have the same material.

In fact, I wish more people had fancy-shmansy signatures. I could just sit and look at those...and everyone seems to change theirs pretty often, so they don't even get stale. I think being able to post anything you want as a signature is a real plus of this site. Before I came to this site, I frequented another (which I've since forgotten), but you could only have a text signature. I tried to make my little flute player ansii work, but it didn't and I left for that reason, stupid as it sounds...but I don't like reading the newspaper because it's just a lot of text. I like picture books :D

My vote would definitely be for sigs being whatever you want. If you are the kind of person who just likes the info or you have a slow connection - cool, turn the sigs off...but why should the rest of us pay the price for someone's slow connection, or dislike of graphics?

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:03 am

Well no one has complained (to me anyway) about the file size of the signatures, so I am going to say that most members probably agree with you Penny.

That's why we are talking about maybe increasing the size of the banner, my guess is you would be for that also.

penny

Post by penny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:05 am

...and furthermore....
I don't like 'standard' format. I think you meant "horizontal" not "vertical" sig - paranOId... to have a horizontal one like yours...which is very nice BTW. Sometimes I go for that look and have a wide and skinny one, but not always...I'm fickle.
I despise standards...because unless it's for public safety, basically it's someone else deciding what you should do and 9 times out of 10 it's based on their own bias or situation. Oh, I'm such an anarchist.... but the world is so thick with "the right way to do things...or the better way...or the standard way" and I never like to do things the standard normal way...so I am always having people tell me... "Oh, no Penny, that's not the way to do it, do it like me and all will be right with the world".
Personally, I use a clicker for moving around websites and I have a dual monitor, so I send stuff over to my TV and sit in a big comfy chair, sipping coffee and reading posts... so I love graphics and reading funny things. When I get down to the business of writing a reply or doing flash work or something, I switch to my desk... and if the internet was set up to my 'standard' there would be easier navigation tools so one could lounge in her comfy chair instead of moving to the desk...but alas, it isn't so.

penny

Post by penny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:06 am

You interupted me in my rant Bling :D

Yes, bigger banner would be cool - and one with flash and sound.

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:27 am

sorry for interrupting, I thought you had run out of things to say, I guess you were just catching your breath. :D

I think a larger banner is likely, since no one seems to be against it,

but sound and flash???

I don’t know about that…

penny

Post by penny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:04 am

Tee hee.... ok, maybe not :lol:

Raskel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raskel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:52 am

OK Penny, I know, standard sucks, cuz everyone is creative in their very own way, so we all make a different size, form, color scheme.... You get the idea.
I have a high speed to,so I don't care, they can be 1mb in size, doesn't matter.
Sound in a logo is the worst thing to do, especially if it get reloaded every click, it'll drive you nuts, flash could be nice, but done properly cuz once again, reloaded every click in a forum.

I looks like you got a chance to let go of your thoughts tho Penny :)

penny

Post by penny » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:43 am

Yes, I vent periodically... most people just disregard it ... rantings of a madwoman... so don't take me too seriously, I just blather on and on, often with no point whatsoever. It gets me in trouble sometimes though because people get offended or mad at me, and really I don't take anything seriously anymore - I just drift along... being stupid. :lol:
Anyway, I agree about sound - I hate embedded sound, I was just joshin'

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to think outside the box,

it really bugs me when someone says we have to do it this way because that's the way it has always been done.

Sometimes the old ways are the best, but sometimes not, so it never hurts to try and improve something and make it better.

So I say Rant On Penny – you never know where a great idea will come from. :D