Norton versus AVG

Ask all your computer related questions here
emma

Norton versus AVG

Post by emma » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:19 am

My Norton antivirus is due for renewal soon. I have heard that AVG is better. It is certainly cheaper. Has anyone had any experience of AVG and can give me advice please?
Emma

AussieGuy

Nortons

Post by AussieGuy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:53 am

Did I hear someone say that horrible Nortons? :eek:

That is one very poor company. It bogs your system down to a crawl with useless rubbish, it does not like being tampered with, does not like being uninstalled & is major bloatware! Save your money, & purchase a license of a world performed, nod32. It has wone evry single award there is, not once, but numerous times.
Also Symantec ( Nortons ) have into the ad/ware business, & also employ virus writters, ( Ummmm make that apparently........) :lol3:
So that nortons can be the first to find a fix.

Avg is ok, but then again I doubt a company that gives a free A/V somewhat suspicious. AVG is not one of the worst out there.

But, do your self a favor & look into Nod32. I have used this A/V for over 4 years now, & yes, I have paid for it :D

emma

Norton versus AVG

Post by emma » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:49 am

Thanks Aussieguy, I'll do that

emma

Norton versus AVG

Post by emma » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:06 am

I have been looking up the Nod 32 as you suggested. It has some good write ups as you recommend, but one mag article says it is not easy to instal or use - I am not a computer whizz kid - would I be able to cope with it do you think? And does the basic package cover e-mail checking? I would be grateful for your comments.

Thanks

Emma

Dantcer

Norton versus AVG

Post by Dantcer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:31 pm

I have not priced any of these other ones in a while, but the only one I will use is Kaspersky Internet Security Suite ($59 for a year). It works differently than most suites, has all the options you could possibly want, and looks, not only for viruses by way of definitions, but virus like activity as well. I like it because it has one of the best web page protection functions that I've seen. (Some other security software doesn't have that at all)

If I LAND on a web page that has a bug or trojan on it, it goes off and lets me know. I know not only NOT to touch anything on that web page, but to close that browser window right away. If I start to download something that is infected, it lets me know before I download it. It's always been right.

I've been using it for years now, tested the others on other machines to compare it to, and so far nothing compares to it. I have not had an infection of any kind (and I double and triple check with online scanners) since I started using it.

Just my opinion. :redface:

NOTE: NORTON is a system hog and attaches itself all over your computer. It's so bad that even NORTON has had to put up a NORTON removal tool, and even then, it takes a lot of manual edits to get it all off.
:eek:
[align=center]
"When all else fails, dig the instructions out of the trash, shake off the coffee grounds, and PRAY the part that is in your language is legible."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/align]

KangaRoo

Norton versus AVG

Post by KangaRoo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi emma, you could also try this site where they rewiev the latest malware products. This will give you a balanced overview of what may be suitable for your needs.

Code: Select all

http://antivirus-software.6starreviews.com/default.aspx?Refer=GoAS&Keyword=anti%20virus&gclid=CK7I1eDJ9o4CFRldhgod1HlvJg

Hope you find what you are looking for.

PS. I use NOD32 and am very happy with it. :)

emma

Norton versus AVG

Post by emma » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:56 am

Thank you all for your help and advice

Gray Ghost

Norton versus AVG

Post by Gray Ghost » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:10 am

I have used AVG Free for a while now and love it. It is the exact same as AVG Pro except there are some scheduling and task options not available in the free that I never used anyway when buying.
[align=center]Image[/align]

emma

Norton versus AVG

Post by emma » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:24 am

Thanks Grey Ghost - I think I may well go with that.

Emma:roses: