Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring One

Talk about anything.

Moderator: Global Moderator

sergeigurov

Post by sergeigurov » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:54 pm

I recently downloaded and tested the latest version of Mandriva Linux. It fits on one CD, and can be run live or installed. Included on the CD are the operating system and applications (such as OpenOffice and media players) most commonly selected by end users.

For a long time, I have experimented with different operating systems, trying to find a realistic alternative to MS Windows. All of the ones I've tried had some shortcomings that kept me from committing to them. But, this latest Mandriva Linux edition astounded me.

In its first live run, the program connected with my office LAN and online connections instantly -- something no other OS had done (including Windows). The loading time for application software was immediate -- far faster than with my WinXP Pro.

I still want to test a few aspects of the program, but it appears that I will finally be able to kiss Microsoft goodbye. I had tried ML before, but earlier editions were not satisfactory.Anyone else out there with experience with Mandriva Linux?

fatso

Post by fatso » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:14 am

If you like ML, try PClinuxOS. I like it much better than ML, but that's just my opinion.

BongoKongo

Post by BongoKongo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:30 pm

They both suck if you ask me although Mandriver Extreme 2008 has some good gear on board,like games ect. Not a fan of PCLinux.

Try Klikit Linux
It is the closest that a Linux Distro could get to winblows in looks and performance that I have seen but it is still 100% Linux. It is not like the Unix distros that use guys seem to like. You still have to learn how to use it and it doesn't try to be a winblows clone even though it looks like one. It is bassed on kubuntu KDE,but you can choose Gnome if you like and once you have it all setup right it is Klick & go without any dramas.
I really Hate Haters:goodjob:

fatso

Post by fatso » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 pm

[QUOTE=BongoKongo;403529]They both suck if you ask me although Mandriver Extreme 2008 has some good gear on board,like games ect. Not a fan of PCLinux.

Try Klikit Linux
It is the closest that a Linux Distro could get to winblows in looks and performance that I have seen but it is still 100% Linux. It is not like the Unix distros that use guys seem to like. You still have to learn how to use it and it doesn't try to be a winblows clone even though it looks like one. It is bassed on kubuntu KDE,but you can choose Gnome if you like and once you have it all setup right it is Klick & go without any dramas.[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion, bro, but if I wanted something that tries to come close to winblows, I'd just use winblows. As for performance, I find that most modern linux's hugely out-perform winblows without all the hoop-jumping and tweaking that I have to do on winblows just to get my money's worth from my hardware. The only drawback I have seen is that support for win apps/games still has a ways to go...not unexpected, but for me it's still an issue.

Anyway, the whole linux vs. winblows thing is an old story, and the real beauty of linux is that there's a flavour to suit everyone...I'm glad you found yours. :)

BongoKongo

Post by BongoKongo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:26 am

Hey fatso hows it going mate?
I don't think that Klikit Linux actually set out to try and become anything like Winblows, it just sort of ended up that way.
Anyway, it is only like Windblows in the way that it is set out which allows you to just Klick & go, but I do like the way that it is so easy to install stuff with it.
In reality it performs quite a lot better than Windblows and it doesn’t freeze or crash, not yet with me anyway.
Even my copy of the "WOW" Windblows MEVista has crashed a couple of times over the last 12 months & I thought that it was supposed to be the greatest thing since canned beer and bullet proof.
I give MEVista 3 years and it will end up on the shelves gathering dust like its little brother.
Can you imagine what a Linux distro would be like if one of them had the same amount of money & resources as the MEVista lemon has had spent on it?
I really Hate Haters:goodjob:

fatso

Post by fatso » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:30 am

Yeah, no kidding! It's nothing short of miraculous, what's been done with linux thus far by an army of unpaid people...I can't even begin to imagine what would happen with the kind of immense resources you mention!!!
Not counting, of course, the silliness known as Linspire. ;)

BTW...I'm dling Klikit as we speak, gonna have a peek and see what's the hullabaloo. :)