Talk about anything.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Computer Passwords

Post by Dude » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:59 am

Why 'ji32k7au4a83' Is a Remarkably Common Password

you might expect something complicated like” “ji32k7au4a83” would be a great password. But according to the data breach repository Have I Been Pwned (HIBP), it shows up more often than one might expect.

This interesting bit of trivia comes from self-described hardware/software engineer Robert Ou, who recently asked his Twitter followers if they could explain why this seemingly random string of numbers has been seen by HIBP over a hundred times.

Have I Been Pwned is an aggregator that was started by security expert Troy Hunt to help people find out if their email or personal data has shown up in any prominent data breaches. One service it offers is a password search that allows you to check if your password has shown up in any data breaches that are on the radar of the security community. In this case, “jyou might expect something complicated like” “ji32k7au4a83” would be a great password. But according to the data breach repository Have I Been Pwned (HIBP), it shows up more often than one might expect.

Have I Been Pwned is an aggregator that was started by security expert Troy Hunt to help people find out if their email or personal data has shown up in any prominent data breaches. One service it offers is a password search that allows you to check if your password has shown up in any data breaches that are on the radar of the security community. In this case, “ji32k7au4a83" has been seen by HIBP in 141 breaches.

Several of Ou’s followers quickly figured out the solution to his riddle. The password is coming from the Zhuyin Fuhao system for transliterating Mandarin. The reason it’s showing up fairly often in a data breach repository is because “ji32k7au4a83" translates to English as “my password.”

ji3 -> 我 -> M

2K7 -> 的 -> Y

au4 -> 密 -> PASS

a83 -> 碼 -> WORD

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords - this is a cool page, you can type in your password and it will tell you how many times it has been hacked. My favorite password has shown up in 10 computer hacks before so I guess I need to find a new one.

Pwned Passwords

Pwned Passwords are 551,509,767 real world passwords previously exposed in data breaches. This exposure makes them unsuitable for ongoing use as they're at much greater risk of being used to take over other accounts.