Rec Room Badlands

Talk about anything.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Agent 34

Rec Room Badlands

Post by Agent 34 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 am

I thought that since I like Badlands so much it deserved it's own topic.

When I started playing Wasteland I really liked it, and I got used to it, so when I tired Badlands the first time I didn't like it that much.
but I played it a few more times and started getting used to it and now Wasteland seems too big, it's too far to walk from one end to the other.

It's funny how my preference can change like that, and there are also more people playing Badlands now, and that makes a big difference.

This is the radio tower it's the main objective for most people there, you try to take it over from whoever has it and see how long you can keep control over it before someone kills you.

I remember that all the pictures you take are stored on your computer I will just have to remember how to find them?
and then I can post some more.

It's such a simple game, but when you have enough people playing it's a lot of fun.

Post all your favorite Badlands memories and share them here.

Mrs Legolas

Re: Rec Room Badlands

Post by Mrs Legolas » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 am

Hey Agent,

I know it's your favorite game on Rec Room at the moment! If there are lots of people or the right people I like it too. But sometimes it's really boring. You got the tower under controll and nobody is coming to attack it.
Sometimes I got a problem to kill everybody if they got a weapon or not. When they are coming up the tower and got no weapon I ask me every thime again - should I kill them or not. Maybe I'm not made for this game :lol:

Badlands is a little timekiller. When you got shot you need to walk the whole way back to the tower or looking for some weapons on the map. And we all got killed lots of times. So 2 hours are nothing for playing this game.

Meanwhile I like to play it. Didn't thought that when I played the first time. But I try to play not for hours because I like to play the other games on Rec Room too. And I would like to see other guys who don't like Badlands.

I'm happy to read a lot about your experiences ...

See you in Badlands !

Agent 34

Post by Agent 34 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:16 pm

I have noticed that too, I can kill a lot of time on Badlands, if a good group has control of the tower I keep thinking I know I can take it away from them but then I get killed a few times and then the next thing I know two or three hours have gone by.

The other games you play until the end and then you stop and think about if you want to take a break or not?
but with Badlands, there is no end so you just keep playing forever. :D

Today when I was playing I was listening to all the different ways people beg for their life,

some people try the direct approach - Don't kill me.
some are more polite - please don't kill me.
then the explanation - don't kill me I am unarmed.
then the association - don't kill me I am part of your group,
or - don't kill me I am a friend of so and so.
also - don't kill me I am friendly.

so many different ways people beg for their life. :)

Lone

Post by Lone » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:50 am

I love this game to. First I tried Wastelands, it was fun, but too big, well to long to walk, and there was a lack of weapons. Then Badlands showed up and had everything Wasteland didnt. I love the details about having a horn in the car that annoys the people in the tower and stuff like that.

I like the way you describe how people are begging for their life haha! I might add one that I like - "Dont shoot, its me!" Of course you dont know any of them but they might not shooting you in fair of its being one of them.

Lets try to make some more photos together in there. Could be fun, staying alive AND doing selfies, haha!
A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Agent 34

Post by Agent 34 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Great idea,
see who can get a selfie with someone shooting at them in the background. :D

The size thing is tricky, at first I liked the size of Wasteland and Badlands seemed too small,
now Badlands seems to be a better size and Wasteland feels too big.
it is a very delicate balance between size and the number of weapons.

Today when I was playing Badlands it was the first time that I did not take over the tower,
there was a group of about 15 guys who went around and collected all the weapons,
then if anyone managed to get a weapon they would send out a group of about 5 guys and they would find the person with the weapon they lost and they would kill them and take the weapon back to the tower.
It was an extremely efficient system and the best I was able to do was to get a bow for a short time.

I had one very small chance when I was hiding in the middle with a bow and four of them came after me all with paintball guns,
three split off and left one guy with two paintball guns by himself, I came around the corner and he had his back turned and just as I shot he moved and I missed him, then he turned around and started firing and about that time the other three guys came around the other side and killed me easily, it would have been extremely hard to get his guns and shoot all three other guys even if I had hit him.
After that I never got close to the tower again.

I need Jozafat to help me work on planning out my strategy for next time this happens. :>>

Jozafat

Post by Jozafat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:53 am

Agent - Master Sun has solution -
If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
Now you made me hungry - from a long time we had not an enemy capable of stoping us :)

In that specific situation I would use some innocent woman - man tend to treat woman good - it is their first and biggest weakness, the younger they are are - the more they forgive (or pretend not to see) - Yesterday we did diversion of similar kind with Lone. Heavily guarded tower with well armed crew made an impenetrable perimeter and I was unable to get them in range of my light artillery. But guess what happened to their discipline and morale when Lone arrived - I could hear them screaming through the whole map - "QUEEN IS BACK" "DONT SHOOT AT QUEEN". 15 minutes later we were alone in tower surrounded by bloodthirsty pack of zombies - and with sense of fulfilled duty we went offline :)

What is most funny is that we failed at first attempt (lack of secured communication-skype :c: ) and survivors of Lone`s treacherous action were questioning her in most tolerant way I have ever heard - She got another chance and this time it was over.

We also pretended that I was hunting her down and she was like - "oh, help me please, I`m so defenceless - Joza is going to kill me" - all those knights went berserk - but were so excited at the same time, that I was able to come to group of 4 enemies unseen and kill one with bottle of booze. They were mad :c:

Of course in case of woman absent we will use disguise - all I need is few voice samples to validate our trojan horse geneder. They will shoot us anyway in case of revealing so we do not have to bother about Geneva Conventions

Lone

Post by Lone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 am

Hahahahahahahaha I cant stop laughing, you described it perfectly! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Agent 34

Post by Agent 34 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Lots of good points, I need to go sit in the corner and re-read my book The Art of War by Sun Tzu.
I am limited to collecting weapons and just attacking the tower and I have been very successful with this method and I have become lazy and undisciplined.
Then I made the worst mistake of all time and I underestimated the enemy.

I need to learn from my foolish mistakes and make sure this does not happen again.

Jozafat, you said something about Skype, I have been thinking for a while that there needs to be some way to communicate with your team, I was thinking that the Rift has a system to talk directly to other Rift owners, something like that would be very handy out there when your on opposite sides of the map and your trying to coordinate an attack on the tower.

maybe there is some other type of communication system that would work?

Mrs Legolas

Post by Mrs Legolas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Hey you guys .. Everybody got discord. So we can take the discord voice chat. That's a cool thing. I played with this chat before. It's perfect for badlands. Thinks about it! Let's check it out! I think it's a better solution than Skype :c:

Mrs Legolas

Post by Mrs Legolas » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:46 am

I would like to tell you what happend last night on badlands to me. I was confused because there happened something strange to me.

I feel good when we are under attack or fighting to get the tower under controll. It's a little bit like playing paintball. But yesterday there was a situation I'd never got there before. When Agent and Joza took their volunteer who has to fight against each other. There was another volunteer of Lone. He should go up and has to shoot the other guy up in the tower.

I got a very bad feeling inside of me. I was scared of my reaction and I didn't want to be a part of it. Everything felt so real for me. So I walked away.

I know it's a game. But it develops a strange dynamic. That's really unbelievable to see.

There is a German movie which calls "Das Experiment". I know there is an English remake "The Experiment" (2010). I don't know if you know the movie. So I thought about this movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exper ... 2010_film)

This movie based on a true story. Maybe you heard about that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_ ... experiment

When I saw this movie years ago it scared me a lot.

I thought I should tell you about my feeling because I want you to know why I might went out of badlands if it's getting to close to reality for me.

Maybe I take a little breake of badlands - maybe not ...
Maybe it was only the day ...
I don't know ...
But I didn't feel good!

Btw - Love to play with you guys!!! :r
Last edited by Mrs Legolas on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jozafat

Post by Jozafat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 am

Frau Legolas - very good point - as my favourite pervert said "If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you" I like how you are our voice of reason and compassion :c:
Buuuut... this is very useful in guerilla warfare - showing our human face will make our enemies to lower their defences :>> keeping someone at gunpoint and giving him orders is not what I do daily - I felt strange too - but I fought this weakness long ago. There is always someone who will happily surrender for promise of pizza and beer.

I use skype regulary when intoxicated or just swearing to much when I play with my childhood buddy - Then I use "push to talk" when I need to communicate in recroom - we are using this on paintball field to coordinate action and it turns out very effective. On Badlands its even better because everybody can hear you ploting devilish plans. When this is on, you just appear for others like you are using telephaty - full coordiantion without words.
Legolas is right - lets try discord. Skype is very unfriendly for this type of job.

Agent - yesterday we were trying to find good spots to make occupant suffer from our rain of fire. This + secured communication would make us even more deadly. Imagine cross-firing them from 90deg positions (for example billboard and crater) - carnage :>>

Agent 34

Post by Agent 34 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Thank you for sharing your feelings about badlands Mrs Legolas.

I have felt badlands become very real also, when I started playing there were a couple times when people would say they wanted to be friends or that we should be on a team together, then they would shoot me in the back and take my weapons the first chance they got.

I would remember their names and sometimes I would hunt them down for 30 or 40 minutes until I could find them, one time I remember very clearly this guy betrayed me and after a long time I had hunted him down when I caught up with him, he was going into the radio tower and was distracted shooting at another person, so I was able to sneak up behind him as he went in the tower, he was going up the stairs and I came up behind him and shot him in the back, it was so real my heart was pounding and I was sweating, and I had to leave the game after that.
I was telling myself it was only a game but at that moment it was more than just a game, it triggered something very real in my brain.
So now I try very hard not to pay attention to the names of the people who kill me so I don't feel a need to try and hunt them down.
This seems to work for me, and like you said make it more like paintbow which I never have a problem with.
But in that game the teams are clearly defined and no one is deceiving you and telling you that they want to be on your team and then killing you the first chance they get.

So maybe if you just try and avoid the situations that trigger your emotions like I do then everything will be fine.

and I am ready to try discord and see if we can use it to coordinate our attacks better.

also, here is a short four minute video that gives an overview of the original Stanford prison experiment.

Mrs Legolas

Post by Mrs Legolas » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:58 am

What a luck - I'm not alone. Thanks for telling about your feelings. It's really interesting to see what happen with us while playing this game.

In this context I remember another good German movie. It calls "Die Welle". I don't know if there is an US movie about it. This movie based on a true story like "The Experiment". Maybe you heard about it. It happend in 1967 in Calfornia. They talk about "The third Wave".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third ... xperiment)

It's really interesting and shocking at the same time what could happen in 5 days.

Agent 34

Post by Agent 34 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:42 am

Well now they have screwed up Badlands with the new update, hopefully they will fix it soon.

I am surprised how being able to teleport really fast just takes all of the fun out of the game, and makes the weapons pretty worthless.

Mrs Legolas

Post by Mrs Legolas » Tue May 01, 2018 5:39 am

I got two nice little videos for you guys. This is badlands! :D

Agent was send to breakfast

DTM wanna be a team?