Are You Conflicted About Driverless Cars?

Talk about anything.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:53 am

New Study Reveals We’re Utterly Conflicted About Driverless Cars

Self-driving car technology is advancing at a rapid pace, thanks to work by technology and automotive companies ranging from Google to Ford. While still years from being widely adopted, driverless cars are increasingly capable of handling a wide variety of driving conditions.

With the basic technical hurdles out of the way, driverless car experts now face a different set of problems — namely, ethical issues. Among the most pressing questions: What should a driverless car do if it faces a choice between putting its passengers at risk or harming someone outside the vehicle?

New research reveals that people are conflicted about such a dilemma. In six online surveys conducted last year, Jean-François Bonnefon, a psychologist at France’s University of Toulouse, asked U.S. residents how they would prefer their autonomous vehicles to behave.

The results, to be published in the June 24 issue of the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s journal Science, found that most respondents believe self-driving cars should be programmed to save as many lives as possible in a given situation. However, these same people would prefer to buy a car that protects themselves and other passengers inside the vehicle as a priority.

For a carmaker seeking to sell autonomous cars to a skeptical public, that seemingly contradictory result might be maddening.

“It’s really a question of our society coming to some kind of consensus about what we want these autonomous machines to be like, and then car manufacturers finding a way to produce something that’s consistent with those expectations,â€
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't. 

johnisasmith

Post by johnisasmith » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:55 pm

[QUOTE=Dude;906523]The results, to be published in the June 24 issue of the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s journal Science, found that most respondents believe self-driving cars should be programmed to save as many lives as possible in a given situation.[/QUOTE]

Not all lives are equal, by this rule 4 seniors would be saved rather than 3 children or 5 bank robbers in getaway car than 4 seniors. :eek:
Life saving algorithm cannot simply rely just on bare numbers, there are so many factors that no machine yet can make this kind of decision.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:58 pm

If they build it, they will buy it...

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:56 pm

some day they will have facial recognition software and when your about to get into a crash the computer will look you up in a database and decided how important you are then if the other person has more lifetime achievements than you do, your car kills you to save them.

I didn't really think about the senior vs child,
so in that case always drive around with a bunch of kids in your car.

my opinion would be that not all lives are worth the same,
I would agree to save a kid over an old person
and if everyone else's car worked like that it would be ok with me,
but I don't want my car to work that way.

I think it will take people a while to get used to the idea that a computer is going to run some calculations and try and figure out how valuable you are and then maybe your car will try and kill you if your numbers don't add up.

and your right,
I would save the 3 children first,
the 4 seniors second,
and the 5 bank robbers last.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't. 

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm

So Big Brother is a computer. Maybe God is a computer? Maybe a 'chip' off the Big Bang Theory.

The Big Bang Theory ...that is yesterday's news. It's way bigger than that. Listen to me now believe me later....theory.

duckbill

Post by duckbill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:38 pm

when your about to get into a crash the computer will look you up in a database and decided how important you are then if the other person has more lifetime achievements than you do, your car kills you to save them.
LOLOLOLO

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:38 pm

[QUOTE=duckbill;907234]when your about to get into a crash the computer will look you up in a database and decided how important you are then if the other person has more lifetime achievements than you do, your car kills you to save them.
LOLOLOLO[/QUOTE]

I had better work on my lifetime achievements..