Biz Wax/Investing/Economy (BIE)

Talk about anything.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Final August 29 2014

Post by Webscout » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 am

All in all, a positive week. I did note that the TSX and DOW are tracking each other % wise quite frequently and the same for one week.
I still think we will get a short lived correction by the end of Oct.

If you have some dry powder make a list to be ready for ? a short correction. What do I know:-):p

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:31 am

did you sell short any Malaysian airlines?
that seems like it should have made some money.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't. 

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 am

[QUOTE=Dude;882205]did you sell short any Malaysian airlines?
that seems like it should have made some money.[/QUOTE]

Airlines have their us and downs but I should have bought JetBlue. My DIL is a Captain. They went Union but still did aok.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Canadian Couch Potato

Post by Webscout » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 am

[HIDE]

Code: Select all

http://canadiancouchpotato.com
[/HIDE]

Canadian Couch Potato, a website that advises do-it-yourself investors.

See... Norbert’s Gambit “the least expensive way to convert Canadian and U.S. dollars at a discount brokerage.â€

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Week ending Sept 5, 2014

Post by Webscout » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:58 am

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

The Invisible Correction?

Post by Webscout » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:14 pm

The Invisible Correction: You may not have noticed, but the market selloff may already be underway

[HIDE]

Code: Select all

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/09/06/the-sneaky-market-correction-that-may-have-already-begun/
[/HIDE]

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Week ending Sept 13, 2014

Post by Webscout » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:02 am

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Week ending Sept 20, 2014

Post by Webscout » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:08 am

Wide swing between TSX and DOW. Interesting differential. It appears that a correction has been taking place with TSX which many considered to be overbought. It is easy to just watch such a correction and be mesmerized. Be prepared to buy in..at a discount 10% + +. Consider a slow buy in. You will not hear the bell when the TSX bottom is reached. Review your fave stocks. Compare their highs to current prices.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Week ending Oct. Friday Oct 3, 2014

Post by Webscout » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:29 am

It appears that we have been correcting. I get the impression the correction has a ways to go. The US jobs report Friday was a positive for the market. Note Gold. Even in a world of turmoil gold is in going down. Perhaps it has been overbought for quite some time. The real gold is prob oil and gas....has real value. Oil took a beating this week. Who knows what the real underlying situation is. I blame the Russians.:confused:

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:40 am

my cousin says that daytraders cause all the problems and are responsible for making the market go down. So if you get tired of blaming the Russians then you can always join my cousin and blame the daytraders for a while.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Webscout » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:32 am

I never get tired of blaming the Russians :p

Mt next choice would be the Chinese. I hope DA does not see this. I consider him a friend.

I don't think DA is t h a t Chinese.:mellow:

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dude » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:11 pm

maybe he is one of those people who is only Chinese monday to friday,

so on the weekends you should be ok.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Stock Market Final Oct 10/14

Post by Webscout » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:08 am

The close: Fri Oct 10/14 TSX hits six-month low amid global growth concerns. Oct certainly has been correcting. Oct is well known for being a 'crash' month. There is a lot of money out there on the sidelines and there could be a lot more as many will panic and there will be more selling. What we don't know is how low will it go. Some good buys are in the making for those with cash and there are many of those. IMO, this is the time to buy good companies that have been beaten up a bit. Buy in slowly. There is no bell when the bottom has been reached. A little good news can be a big boost to the market. I have noticed that some good companies with good yields are hanging in there at least for the time being. What do I know? :)

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

"gas For $1.71 A Gallon"

Post by Webscout » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 am

Did I get your attention?

“Real Gasoline Without Oilâ€

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

Week ending Oct. Friday Oct 17, 2014

Post by Webscout » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:15 am

Market mayhem: What's driving the global economic breakdown
The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Oct. 17 2014, 6:21 PM EDT

Cracks are showing in the global economy. Financial markets gyrated wildly this week, as investors took stock of the latest indicators and realized all is not well in the world.

Ever since the financial crisis, the global economy has never operated at full throttle, but there have been several notable bright spots. Now some of those are starting to lose their lustre.

In China, a sudden drop in steel demand is just the latest sign of a broader slowdown that is sending ripple effects around the world. In Germany, a sharp pullback in exports is raising fears that the nation can no longer be counted on as Europe’s economic engine. From Brazil to Russia, emerging markets have failed to live up to expectations that they would provide the next wave of global growth. Here at home, the energy-fuelled Canadian economy is sure to feel the chill of sinking oil prices, but as the loonie tumbles in tandem, exporters are hoping for a better competitive footing in global commerce.

A key wild card is the U.S. economy, which has shown vigour this year. The question is whether that strength can last as other global heavyweights increasingly look tired.

EDITOR....
Anyone who has come late to the party will certainly feel the pinch of a stock market downturn. Even long term holders will feel the pinch but hopefully their returns over a period of time look reasonable ie 10%. No one knows what will happen going forward, but as I have said before, there is a huge amount of money on the sidelines and some of this $ will go to stable companies. The ones that consistently deliver. This includes dividend and yield plays. These generally rebound first.
For those with $...now is the time to consider buying in. ie by low..sell high. There is no bell that rings to alert you as to when we have reached a bottom for a certain segment of the market or a stock.
There appears to be a glut of oil in the world so perhaps there is time to wait and watch. Buying in slowly is one way as you are dollar cost averaging. WHAT DO I KNOW?