George Zimmerman Trial

Talk about anything.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:21 am

our laws have a lot of tricky parts and they are not easy to understand and they don't have to make any sense.[...]

This applies to most countries and many of us (I include Canada)have difficulty because we consider ourselves a democracy...etc etc etc. and expect a great deal as opposed to kangaroo court countries.

If you looked at the case I posted in this thread you will see where a judge's ruling made no sense at all. He was overruled by a higher court. That judge MO should be reviewed....perhaps his reasoning has become skewed.

The little people just want justice...fair play. Rules that apply to everyone.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

By Diane Francis..National Post BIZ....Saturday July 7/13

Post by Webscout » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:08 am

By Diane Francis..National Post BIZ....Saturday July 7/13

Diane Francis Born 14 November 1946 (age 66)
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Diane Francis is a Canadian-American award-winning columnist, bestselling author, journalist, broadcaster and entrepreneur. She is the Editor-at-Large at the National Post and a Distinguished Professor at Ryerson University Ted Rogers School of Management. She is one of the world’s leading business writers and keynote speakers on the trends and geopolitics that transform companies, individuals, governments and societies around the world.

Millions swarmed Egyptian streets this week and the television coverage was as dramatic as during the 2011 Arab Spring.

For most of the week, however, CNN remained preoccupied with the murder trial involving the shooting in 2012 of a Florida teenager, Trayvon Martin. At first, this appeared to be American parochialism, but it wasn’t.

That trial was the result of an intervention in the Florida legal system following massive street and media protests. The local district attorney was bypassed in order to put an assailant on trial. As such, this was a smaller American version of what Egyptians have done. Through their mass street gatherings, they have bypassed, and overthrown, their President.

Differences in the scale are obvious, but both are versions of the same historical struggle which is to uphold the principle of pluralism in society.

The Trayvon Martin incident was simply racist. The victim was an unarmed African-American and his shooter was a white-Hispanic guy, initially exonerated and released by a friendly white police department. The injustice led to a firestorm of controversy and eventually the appointment of an independent special prosecutor from the federal government. Enough evidence existed to lay charges of second-degree murder.

If there had been no protests, the accused would have never faced trial, a form of discrimination that has occurred for hundreds of years in the United States. Even though civil rights have dramatically improved there, the Trayvon Martin situation underscores the need for constant vigilance, lest racism once again contaminate public institutions.

Likewise, if there had been no gigantic and spontaneous protests in Egypt, the army would not have backed the removal of President Mohamed Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood party. They won 51% of the popular vote in last year’s election, but this was because the roster of candidates had been unfairly restricted and because they lied to the electorate about their intentions.

Morsi downplayed his religiosity and bigotry, buried his agenda of imposing sharia law, hid his belief in the unequal treatment of women and his disdain for opponents.

Through these means, Morsi became the first elected Islamist leader in history: He simply pretended he wasn’t an Islamist leader.

After a brief honeymoon period, Morsi and his group abrogated promises and offended the rights of most Egyptians. He appointed no senior representatives in his government from the rest of society. He began firing generals to increase his grip on power and he focused on his religion and ignored worldly needs such as economic reforms. He also orchestrated campaigns against other religious or political groups.

“It [Morsi’s government] has allowed discrimination and even violence against the Coptic Christian minority in Egypt. It has tried to shut down its opposition, banning members of Mubarak’s old party from all political offices in Egypt for life,â€

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 am

Copy and paste

U.R. Nuts says:

I realize I am commenting to an old post but, but, but. . .

You keep referring to watching/reading the news to get the accurate facts of the case. Wow, are you frickin' kidding me?

Here is a spoiler alert: If you want the un-spun facts of this case, do NOT listen to the news. Listen to the actual trial questioning, the actual 911 recordings etc etc.

After you do that, you will quickly see how much spin the news has applied to the facts. There is so much spin applied that it is beyond disrespectful but downright pathetic.

Just my 2¢ worth on the matter . . .

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Dude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:25 am

that's the way it works.

The prosecutor calls their star witness who says "Martin was on top with his hands coming down on Zimmerman's face, Zimmerman was on the bottom screaming for help."

Then the prosecutor says what a great witness, that proves that Zimmerman was on top and that Martin was yelling for help, even though their witness just said the opposite.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't. 

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am

Columnists

Even If George Zimmerman Found Not Guilty Of Murder And Manslaughter, He Could Still Get 25 Years
by Richard Hornsby | 10:05 pm, July 9th, 2013

To many people, there is no middle ground: George Zimmerman will either be convicted of Second Degree Murder or he will be found Not Guilty.

But the reality is much more complex, because the jury will have a number of Lesser Included Offenses to choose from.

And because of these numerous options, it is not uncommon for a jury to exercise what is known as their “pardonâ€

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Read today...
Z himself once said during a police interview that the screams didn't sound like him, though he and his family later said the screams were his.

ME....if they cannot absolutely determine who the screamer is...throw the evidence out?

Lies...lies lies. So many lies being told.

Let's all scream for ice cream.

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Dude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:18 am

I am pretty sure the police found a bloody glove at the scene somewhere
and they are just not telling anyone about it.
where is OJ anyway?

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 am

[QUOTE=Dude;862843]
where is OJ anyway?[/QUOTE]

I saw him on the freeway in a white Bronco...

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 am

[quote="Dude;862843"]I am pretty sure the police found a bloody glove at the scene somewhere
and they are just not telling anyone about it.
[/quote]

That was just a story the cops put together. It was a white glove.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:34 pm

As seen

Would we even be having this trial if Trayvon Martin had been white? Would Zimmerman have found him suspicious? I fail to understand how Zimmerman's claims of self-defense haven't been laughed out of court. He followed an unarmed teenager who wasn't doing anything wrong and had every right to be where he was. He disobeyed the police dispatcher who told him not to follow the kid. He got out of his truck (me- interesting) and confronted the kid. My kid would have tried to defend himself from the creepy stalker guy too. Sorry, George, but you can't claim self-defense when you were the initial aggressor, following and confronting someone who had done nothing except be black in your neighborhood. Now that kid is dead.

ME....the prosecution wants to win their case but I don't believe for one second that Z wanted to kill M. There is so much lying going you can smell the BS.

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Dude » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:10 am

if Martin was white the police would have released Zimmerman and that would have been the end of it.

I am surprised that the trial is over so fast, I would have thought they would try to milk it more.

also, I was wrong about the 2nd degree vs. manslaughter charges,
the jury can find him guilty of 2nd degree, or they can find him guilty of manslaughter
I didn't know they could vote for either.
criminal law is not my specialty.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:27 pm

[QUOTE=Dude;862918]
criminal law is not my specialty.[/QUOTE]

And what might that law specialty be?:-)

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:50 pm

To secure a conviction for second-degree murder, prosecutors needed to prove that Zimmerman, 29, acted with ill will, spite or hatred when he shot and killed the 17-year-old Martin in a violent confrontation at Sanford's Retreat at Twin Lakes gated community on 26 February last year. The charge carries a penalty of at least 25 years in prison. ME....I do not believe that will happen with 6 women jurors.

To prove the lesser charge of manslaughter, the state's attorneys needed to show beyond a reasonable doubt that he intentionally committed an act that caused Martin's death and that the killing was not justified or excusable. In Florida, manslaughter involving a firearm is punishable with a sentence of between 10 and 30 years.

Me...this is reasonable IMHO.

Only cops should be allowed to carry guns. If caught with a gun....it's the Work Farm......not Club Med and Weight Lifting.

Dude
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Dude » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:00 pm

The verdict came back as I expected - Not Guilty.

Webscout
Administrator
Administrator

George Zimmerman Trial

Post by Webscout » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:53 am

A crime has been committed and it was not committed by Martin.

There is nothing new about injustice.

I am not an expert but perhaps.......if the prosecution had been realistic about the events of that night they might have gotten a reasonable sentence. May the prosecution was over zealous.....and therefore screwed up.

This case sends quite the message. A 17 year old boy is dead and the family forever lives with that nightmare.

I will be sure to never walk in that 'hood...but if I do I will wear a Hoodie with a sign ' Don't Shoot , I am just a black guy visiting'. I will avoid eating Skittles...who knows how that could be interpreted.