Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > The Lounge
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 05-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

I think I see a bitcoin right behind them.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

[FAQ]
Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Admin

Webscout has disabled reputation

Note the sign on the wall. BitCoin Mining is as old as the hills...then digital mining came along and Hobby embraced it, arm pits and all.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:53 PM

johnisasmith will become famous soon enough

I wonder when panhandlers will start asking "Hey buddy got a spare Bitcoin?"
Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Respected VIP

Hobbyist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WOOT WOOT - up and mining!

Alright.. My Raspberry Pi bitcoin mining rig is UP AND RUNNING.. (can you spell WOOT WOOT!?)

Here's a screen shot of Raspbian linux running BFGMiner 4.3 controlling the Bitmain Antminer U2 which appears to be running at about 2 GH/s. The browser in the background (Midori) has my account page on triplemining.com up...

...where a close up shows I have earned about .00001811 bit coins which is about 1.25 cents (cdn) (with bitcoins trading at about 685 $cdn)

I didn't get things going till a couple of hours ago so we'll see tomorrow morning what I'm up to. If you read the pool "rules" at triplemining.com, they also have a 1% of the block lottery where every miner gets 1 chance to win on each block (average prize is about $65 cdn).

As promised.. I'll put together a little how to.. If you're a cheap skate like me you can probably build the rig for about $125 (cdn) including all the little bits and pieces like USB cables, etc. I've got screen caps of all of the stuff I did on the Windows machine but I'm having troubles with using scrot for screen shots on the Pi (ie linux).. more reading.. anyway..

quick update.. in the length of time it took me to shrink these pics, upload them, etc I'm now up to .00003807 BC (ie 2.6 cents cdn).. more to follow but I have a ton of stuff to get done yet tonight.. maybe a quick how-to this weekend.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Admin

Good job Hobby and well done. I don't think many people have the skills to do what you have done. Dude will be pleased as well. He doesn't dream in Technicolor but in BitCoins.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Respected VIP

Here's a quick update.. can you guess what problem 1 is/was..

correct.. the thing gets damn hot.. I'm afraid it will burn up.. I'll make a proper enclosure with a fan this weekend.. till then, everything runs nice and cool with my (totally overkill) house fan.

Here's the math.. from aprox 6:30pm last night to 6:30am this morning I'm at .00039679 BC or about 25 cents (cdn). That's about 50 cents a day.. I've got another antminer coming at $18.50 (cdn) that would double that to a buck a day.. If I were to invest another $36 that would put me at $2 per day for an investment of about $200.. I'm going yacht hunting next weekend : -)

There is also overclocking.. it is apparently as easy as changing the parameters on the command line when you start bfgminer.. I'm holding off on that till I get the cooling issue worked out..

more to follow
Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Admin

I did notice the fan. Looked tight for space, thought perhaps you worked out of a closet. .

In the summer I often use a fan in my TV/Computer area. When d/l etc my laptop can get quite warm and if it's a hot day the fan makes a real difference in cooling the laptop. This works even better if it's a 'hot' film.....then I move the fan even closer.

Back to Bitcoin mining. Looks like you have a pretty good handle on this.

I wonder how many Bitcoin miners exist out there? and wannabes?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

great work.
so with a $200 investment you can make your money back in a little over 3 months.
that's not bad.
and it produces lots of heat,
good for a winter project when I need some heat.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

[FAQ]
Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Respected VIP

go big or go home.. I'm going to bid $1.50 (it's at $US0.99 at the time I posted) the shipping is about $US 86.00

Code:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bitmain-Antminer-S1-ASIC-180-GH-s-Bitcoin-Miner-NR-Ships-Worldwide-IN-HAND-/321452872006?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

UPDATE> the cheapest Antminer S1 on the "but it now" plan is under $US 220.00 delivered:
Code:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bitmain-Antminer-S1-/261523205430?pt=US_Virtual_Currency&hash=item3ce3ff6d36
Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Admin

So you are going big?