Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > The Lounge
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 06-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Admin

Webscout has disabled reputation

I am happy...we have some real players.....now what about those 'hot' tips?

Now remember...it's all making more money than you lose.
Buy low ...sell high.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 AM

BongoKongo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the occasional dabble on a few things but I only seriously invest in gold and medical supplies, they both fluctuate from time to time but they always bounce back, most times they soar. The secret is to always take out your initial cost/outlay and put it in a bank, and then play the market to your heartís content, that way you never loose.
I made a killing when I was in my late teens on a no name "two bit" Australian mining company called "Poseidon" - (nickel). Stocks jumped from $8.00 to $130 a share within 3 months, and I'm still smiling.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoKongo View Post
I have the occasional dabble on a few things but I only seriously invest in gold and medical supplies, they both fluctuate from time to time but they always bounce back, most times they soar. The secret is to always take out your initial cost/outlay and put it in a bank, and then play the market to your heartís content, that way you never loose.
I made a killing when I was in my late teens on a no name "two bit" Australian mining company called "Poseidon" - (nickel). Stocks jumped from $8.00 to $130 a share within 3 months, and I'm still smiling.
Sure is nice when ya hit a x's bagger. I have not yet.
I have made some dumb moves and some ok moves.

In this game I would rather be lucky than smart....because the market is ALWAYS smarter.

...today (so far) Canada is on a tear...the US down.
Canada has done many things right.
There is a ton of cash/prosperity out there......and huge demand.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Admin

Asia and Inflation

contains hidden content You will have to reply to see hidden content
Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

I don't know the guy in the article you linked to, but my take on news in general has been that it's not very helpful for predicting stock prices.
I have been following the news relating to commodities because I thought it might be more relevant than news on stocks.
but they seem to be about the same, lots of people predict something, it seldom happens, then they come up with some lame reason why the market went the other way.
recently I went through some magazines that were about a year old,
I then looked up all the prices that were predicted... so far I can't even find someone who is 60% accurate.
the other problem is people like Jim Cramer, I think he is probably pretty smart and knows a lot about the stock market,
but the problem is that he has a prediction on just about everything out there. I think he makes hundreds of predictions a day, and it's not fair to pick out a few of them and say they did or didn't work.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

[FAQ]
Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 PM

You are right, it's hard to predict, and you almost have to be an astrologist or a fortune teller. You have to read between the lines, because there are many small factors that make up the final outcome and successful purchase of stock.
If someone tells you buy, really check it out first. Do some research and see what other companies & investments are tied up in that stock first. Check outstanding loans and if there are any partnership companies, in other words try to find out where the stock you are buying into has its investments tied up first.
Many people only see a company that cruising along nicely and jump straight in only to find out later that a subsidiary of that company is failing or that they owe huge debts, or have invested unwisely themselves. Further down the track this would eventually make what you thought was a great investment, worthless. You have to look into their past performances & also try to look over the horizon into their future.

There is a lot of work involved in making the right decision and even then you can come unstuck, (not as often though if you do the research) because there are just so many factors involved and you can't read them all. The stock market is 70% skill and 30% luck, or it can also be the other way around depending on how you go about it. Be very wary of people who give out stock advice by the dozens, yes they may have knowledge, but they are still only guessing also. Find someone who only predicts investments after doing their homework first, not someone who advises every day. If Jim Cramer was actually doing his homework on all the investments he advises people to go with, the guy would be stuck in front of a PC 24/7 and never get any sleep.

EDIT: I wrote Jimmy Carter instead of Jim Cramer,LOL. Jimmy Carter might be able to give you good advice on Peanut investments though.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 AM
The Pirate Queen

penny is a jewel in the roughpenny is a jewel in the roughpenny is a jewel in the roughpenny is a jewel in the rough

I saw a BBC thing with an economist and he was saying statistically, a monkey can choose stocks better than an annalist (seriously). Apparently, a monkey has no preconceptions and bias, so random is better.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Respected VIP

Rita has a spectacular aura aboutRita has a spectacular aura about

I like chocolate and strong coffee as commodities.

I invest every day in those.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
I saw a BBC thing with an economist and he was saying statistically, a monkey can choose stocks better than an annalist (seriously). Apparently, a monkey has no preconceptions and bias, so random is better.

Can't dispute that....esp. when dealing with the retail investor (you's and me's) by and large, but there are some sophisticated market people who do a pretty good job.
A friend and I have been following this for quite some time.

Returns average 20% over 25 years or so. Not cheap to buy this service and not for the small retail investor. What scares investors is a bad year and they get out but miss the boat when it's time to get back in.

Also Dorsey and Wright is a very good timing service....

There are investors..there are speculators.....
..in the end the bottom line is ...are you making money?

Never say never in this game.

Canda has so much to offer and has done many things right as opposed to the US. Canada is not an Island and eventually I believe we will all be affected.
There is no doubt that the demand for energy poducts ie oil will be huge going forward but there is a lot of speculation going on as well.
I believe that the market is out of kilter and has to be rebalanced...part of the cycle. It's not different this time re cycles but the world is very different. The genie cannot be put back in the bottle. The emerging countries ie China/India/Brazil/Russia (referred to as BRIC) and others want what we have.
Canada has a lot to offer.
We are in a Long Term Bull Market with hiccups along the way.
Buy at the bottom and you will make money.
Making 100% returns is not normal.......always take a profit.

Think about where the world is going..what it needs and invest in those areas.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Apparently, a monkey has no preconceptions and bias, so random is better.
I don't agree, because I have seen many monkeys who blindly invest and fall flat on their faces only because they did not do their research. Yes, some analysts get it wrong most of the time but only because they are not good at it and are usually just like the monkeys, guessing. The stock market thrives on those monkeys, and they come and go like the seasons. They play the market like a slot machine in Vegas. You can have a win on those machines, but most times you lose. But there are professional gamblers in Vegas as well, and these guys do their homework and make a living out of it, yes there is still luck involved but the professional will cut the odds to a minimum so they have more than just luck working in their favor. Itís the only way to do it.

I have been investing in stock for about 30 years and in the beginning I was like a monkey. I just did like everyone else and made guesses and got it wrong about 80% of the time. Then I began researching my investments and I pretty soon found out that I could get it right 90% of the time.

And one show on the BBC about the stock market should not be used as a basis in determining the secret of good investing. No matter what the so called experts say, you can make the right decisions 90% of the time based on analyzing information. If you ever find a successful investor, (not the New Money type) you will also find that a lot of hard work has gone into his success.