Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > The Lounge
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Admin

Webscout has disabled reputation

...I thought you knew all about that stuff.

I am not a gamester..so far....but it's still early in the game
Old 07-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

this is what I am learning about VR now,
everyone complains about graphics cards, but no one says which graphics cards work well.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

[FAQ]
Old 07-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
this is what I am learning about VR now,
everyone complains about graphics cards, but no one says which graphics cards work well.
Just ask the companies that make them
Old 08-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of
Default Oculus Rift Review.

​My new Oculus Rift Review.

It took just over a week (maybe 9 days) from when I ordered it to arrive by UPS.

I thought I would get an Xbox controller, but probably for the summer sale they left that out, but did ship it with the two touch hand controllers, so all that for $399 I think it was a great deal.

There are no instructions and no disks that come with it, nothing,
just a little card that says:

Trouble setting up Rift?

Don't give up - we can help!

Please contact Oculus Suport.

https://support.oculus.com

This really surprised me, I plugged the Oculus headset into the HDMI port and into a USB port,

I had read earlier about it so I knew you need 3 usb 3.0 ports and I have those.

I turn it on and went to Oculus.com where it installs some software and tells me to set up the sensors, it had to fool with them a few times before it was happy with where I put them. I assumed that I would be standing in the middle of my space and have both sensors pointing directly at me, it didn't like this, it wanted the right sensor pointing a little past my right shoulder, and the left one pointing a little outside my left shoulder.

Anyway, that was it, there was basically nothing to it, any 10 year old could have got it going.

Then I downloaded some programs,
this took some time,

each game or app is 1 to 8 gigs, and it seems like there are around 12 or so free ones in the Oculus store, I downloaded them all which took a really long time.

There were a couple of demos that come with it, you just click on them and they run, and instruct you how to use the hand controllers, it's once again super simple so anyone could do it.

While I was playing the demo someone knocked on my real door and I heard them knocking and I looked around trying to figure out how to get out of the room I was in, they knocked again then I figured out all I had to do was take the headset off.

It really surprised me how long it too me to think of that after only playing maybe five minutes, it's very easy to get lost in the game.

Next I went to:
http://store.steampowered.com/

and set up an account there and installed the software, I have downloaded three free games but have not tried them yet.

Overall it's extremely easy to set up and provides a very realistic virtual reality experience which I was lost in after the first minute.

The only issue I had was that after downloading the Oculus software it has a demo which I played,
then later when I started it up again there is a menu in the headset which does not have the demo, I wanted to play the demo again so I had to download it again inside the headset,
so now there are basically two copies of it on my computer, not a big deal just kind of odd and it took me a few minutes to figure out I had to download it a second time.

I am really looking forward to trying some more games.

[FAQ]
Old 08-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Admin

Thanks for letting us know of your experience. No doubt others will be getting these units. Maybe by Xmas the prices might come down or special deals.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Admin

after the summer sale is over they said they will raise the price, but they could easily have a black friday, or a Xmas sale.

I have to say this is a real advancement in computer games, When you completely forget where you are, that is a fun game.

A couple of my friends have tried it and some of them say that is it too real, and too intense for them, so they only like the easier games that don't require much work.
I like the intense games, but right now I have a lot of sore muscles.
When you rip a robots arm off and beat him with it, that takes a lot of work, and can get very intense.

[FAQ]
Old 08-06-2017, 11:22 PM

johnisasmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
​My new Oculus Rift Review.
While I was playing the demo someone knocked on my real door and I heard them knocking and I looked around trying to figure out how to get out of the room I was in, they knocked again then I figured out all I had to do was take the headset off.

It really surprised me how long it too me to think of that after only playing maybe five minutes, it's very easy to get lost in the game.
So mass use of VR will bring new problems to users and great opportunities to others, for example, it will be easy for burglars to do their jobs while standing next to their victims, I can see the police and insurance agents asking people:
"So you Sir/Ma'am were awake and home when the theft has happened."

Some people will commit adultery while their spouses few feet away will be immersed in VR.

This is just a tip of iceberg of all new problems that this new technology will bring, the future wont be what it used to be.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Admin

Default Woot woor

So, one benefit is that it could be a good way to get ta good workout and not be aware of it while playing the game?

Some people will commit adultery while their spouses few feet away will be immersed in VR. [johnie]

The people immersed in VR will also have the opportunity to commit adultery. A lot of people have been waiting for this. Sex sells so very well. Dude, be on the alert and let us know if you find anything so good that I might buy a unit. Good hookers are expensive. I could uses a good workout.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:44 AM

johnisasmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webscout View Post
The people immersed in VR will also have the opportunity to commit adultery. A lot of people have been waiting for this. Sex sells so very well. Dude, be on the alert and let us know if you find anything so good that I might buy a unit. Good hookers are expensive. I could uses a good workout.

Sorry Webby, but good VR sex will be more expensive than just standard VR, you will need a special suit in addition to your headset.

contains hidden content You will have to reply to see hidden content
Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Admin

Yes good VR is worth it. Much better than getting VD. With VD you might end up in the ER or worse.

Jimmy Carter revealed that he cheated in his heart. Now you can fool them with VR and cheat in your head. Better to leave your heart out of it as 'heart's can be broken'. I guess some skulls can be broken but then cops are involved.

I wonder how any of this might work out in divorce court?

Your honour I know he cheated on me because he always breaks out in a sweat when he uses his VR unit. Husbands response -I was only doing a workout with my VR. (be sure to have both s/w running at the same time)

I can hardly wait when all of this gets better and better.