Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > The Lounge
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 PM
noob

neo is just really niceneo is just really niceneo is just really niceneo is just really nice
Default Oculus Rift

Back in March 2014 Mark Zuckerberg bought the Oculus Rift headset company for around 2 billion dollars.

So where are the great 3D games and applications?

I think virtual reality is about the same as it was 30 years ago.
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

Markie has been working on the Oculus...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It looks like these sell between $200 and $700 I don't really know what a developer kit is but there seems to be 2 of them.

Based on some of the reviews it seems to be working, a couple people said to make sure you have a computer that can drive the thing, with all the real time graphics you do need something pretty fast to make it work.

A couple people said they had to sell theirs because it gave them motion sickness.

I would pay extra if a headset could give me motion sickness.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

[FAQ]
Old 02-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Admin

Webscout has disabled reputation

I might take up gaming when I retire but first I have to learn how to style 'spike?' my hair like those young guys. I am sure that is how they get the girls. Maybe Hobby knows?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

News on the Oculus Rift consumer version.

Quote:
Pre-orders for the consumer version of the virtual reality goggles will begin later this year. The first customers will be able to strap on the eyewear in the comfort of their own homes beginning in the first quarter of 2016, according to an Oculus blog post.

The company did not give specific dates for the release, but teased a headset that will have updated ergonomics to give it a more natural fit.

While today's news is a step toward virtual reality for the masses, Oculus also promised to give more details in the coming weeks on what kind of hardware, software, experiences and games will be ready for the consumer device.

Another missing piece: The company has yet to reveal how much the goggles will cost.

[FAQ]
Old 03-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Admin

Oculus is cutting their prices because Sonys PSVR has sold almost a million units in less than 6 months.

Quote:
Oculus is cutting their prices the new VR discounts work as follows: The Rift + Touch controllers are now $598 (down from $798). If you already own a Rift but need Touch, you’ll only pay $100 for the hardware, down from the $200 launch price. If you’re just buying a Rift, it now costs $500, down from $600. If you only need an additional Rift sensor, that’s just $59.

Offering separate price cuts on individual components encourages users to stack them together for maximum savings, but it also makes the entry price of PC VR just a little lower than it used to be. Combine this with some of the $500 PC VR kits we’ve seen, and the price of a Rift + system is now just over $1000.

[FAQ]
Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Admin

You have a real interest in the AV tool. Do you have one?
Old 03-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Admin

I have been ready to get one for about a year now, but every time I start looking at them I read something about it that I don't like, and I don't want to buy the betamax version and find out that as soon as I buy it that it's obsolete and I should have bought the other one.

It would be nice if everyone would just get together and build one and support it.

Now it looks like Sony is outselling Oculus which is not good for Oculus, and they have some billion dollar law suit going on that claims that they stole the idea from some other company, that could really muck things up for them.

[FAQ]
Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Admin

It's now time to buy one.

Quote:
In the spirit of summer sales and their own “Summer of Rift,” Facebook subsidiary Oculus VR has announced that the Rift + Touch bundle is now on sale for $399. The bundle includes the headset, a pair of Touch controllers, two sensors, an Xbox One wireless controller, a remote, and cables, including connectors for Rock Band VR guitar controllers.

Oculus also offers seven free games for the Rift: Lucky's Tale, Medium, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, Dragon Front, and Robo Recall. For those lacking Rift-compatible titles, these selections provide a simple way to game on the Rift immediately.

The sale will take place for six weeks and follows the permanent price adjustments in March that cut the Rift + Touch bundle from $798 to $598. This competitively positions the Rift + Touch bundle against the $799 HTC Vive headset/controllers bundle and the $499 Sony PlayStation VR headset/controllers bundle. As it stands, Rift’s shipments, cumulatively as well as for 2017 Q1, lag behind the Vive’s according to SuperData, while both are behind the PSVR; at the top of the heap is the more affordable Oculus-powered Samsung Gear VR.
I have read that their end price is to get to $350 some day, so that's only $49 less and when the sale is over the price will go back up some. I think my wait is over and it's time to buy.

[FAQ]
Old 07-12-2017, 06:51 AM
Admin

Yes...buy, and buy often..

I have yet to get into this 'gaming' thing.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webscout View Post
Yes...buy, and buy often..
Ok you better be right, I bought one yesterday based on your recommendation.

I looked around and walmart might have had them cheaper? but it didn't make it clear what I would actually be buying, so I just went to
https://www.oculus.com/rift/
and bought it there.

Now I don't have a computer system to run it so I have to start looking for one of those. I will pay for it with the free money I got from the credit card companies.

I have to study up some on graphics cards, since I know nothing about them.

[FAQ]