Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > Computer Help
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 03-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of
Default HP Chromebox ‑2 GB RAM ‑ 16 GB HDD - CB1‑014

Chromebox - (different from the Chromebook)
comes with:
  • Intel Celeron 2955U Processor 1.4 GHz(2 MB cache)
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB Solid State Drive
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Google Chrome OS

My Chromebox arrived yesterday, (March 7th, 2015), I have read over 100 reviews about it so I know that it does not come with any cables or anything. But after taking it out of the box I realized that my HDMI cable that I was planning on using was ordered from China, and it's probably on a slow boat some where for the next month or two.

I look on eBay and there is someone else selling cables for half of what I paid and they are in the city next to me, so I would have had it by now.

I drive down to Best Buy to get a cable so I can use my new computer.

It is a little odd to get a computer in a box with nothing else, no cables no nothing. I thought I was ready for it, but it was even a little bit of a surprise for me. Many people who buy it are shocked and return it because they can't use it without any cables. So just be ready for that.

I was not sure how this experiment was going to work out, I thought I could easily be one of those people who use it for 1 or 2 days then is ready to get rid of it, but after the first week, I love it.

When I first got it I was not sure what I was going to think, but now I can't imagine living without it.
I spend most of my computer time on the internet, the Chromebox does a fantastic job of running the Chrome browser.

I got my stopwatch out and mine boots up in just under 7 seconds, Some people say it's 5 seconds, but mine is not that fast. It shuts down in around 2 seconds about the amount of time it takes you to get your hand off the mouse.
What this does is it frees me from being required to leave my computer running all the time just in case I want to use it. With Windows I don't know how many minutes it takes to start up and shut down because I started turning it on in the morning when I go to eat breakfast or something, then I just leave it on because I don't want to deal with it again.

The Chromebox is really quiet, if you put your ear right on it then you can hear the fan, but other than that it's almost silent. Now I find out that my monitor hums, I never knew this because the noise from my computer always drown it out.

The Chromebox uses less than 15 watts of power, so I am saving electricity, which I like.

And the thing is faster than my quad core, or I should say the Chromebox processor is actually much slower, it just does everything faster.
Anytime I click on something it pops up right when I click on it, once again I won't go into how slow windows is...

So over all the Chromebox is just Awesome to use.

The drawbacks to it are that you are tied to the chrome browser, but so far that has not been a problem, this browser runs much better than when it's on windows, and it's been almost two weeks now of using it everyday and I have not had one problem where I thought I needed another browser, which was a common occurrence on windows.

It is possible to install windows or something else on the Chromebox, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the computer, at least that's the way it seems to me, so I have not even bothered to look into doing this.

I did not turn on my other computer for 3 days in a row, but if you do a lot of stuff with windows software then this may not be a good option for you, but if you spend a lot of time on the internet like I do, then you really should think about this option.

Printing

Printing is a bit of a problem, since you can not hook a printer up to a chromebox, google does have cloud printing where you print through another computer, in the last two weeks I have printed 2 items so I had to turn my windows computer on to print these then I shut it back off again. This does not look like it's going to be a big deal for me, because I don't print that much.

Cons

The worst thing so far I have found besides the printing limitations, is that for some dumb reason they decided to make it go to sleep every 6 or 8 minutes. Which is really annoying, I downloaded an extension that will make it so that I can turn off the sleep mode, and that works pretty well. I just have to remember to click on it when I want it to sleep, or turn it off.

I think when people start figuring out how well these things work they will be selling a lot more of them.

It is a very quite, fast computer that uses less electricity and does a much better job,
on the other hand if you print a lot and don't have something hooked up to a cloud printing system that works for you, or you need to run windows software. Then this will probably not be a good option for you. But if you just want to get on the internet then you are in luck.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

[FAQ]
Old 03-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Admin

Webscout has disabled reputation

I use and like Chrome OS. I would certainly consider a ChromeBox...maybe a ChromeBook.

I had better hurry because pretty soon I won't understand any of this stuff. I am not sure I do now.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

Your brain is like a bucket full of water with a hole in it, the longer you wait the more that runs out, so if your thinking about buying a Chromebox you should hurry and do it now.

[FAQ]
Old 03-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Your brain is like a bucket full of water with a hole in it, the longer you wait the more that runs out, so if your thinking about buying a Chromebox you should hurry and do it now.

..and someone else said I was full of $hit. I now feel complete but in need of a laxative.

I have to plug up the water hole but not the other.
"My Bucket's Got A Hole In It". I never knew that real meaning of that song till now.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Admin

My chromebox died a couple days ago. R.I.P.

It just comes up with an error message and it says I can put the operating system on a usb drive and load it back on but I tried it with 2 different usb drives and it didn't work.

I was looking on Ebay for a new one, I am not sure but I think I want a little faster one this time, the last one was OK but there were some times when I had a whole bunch of windows open and was trying to play slither.io or something like that and it would slow down a little more than I wanted.

It is possible that I just need a different flash drive or I am doing something wrong, so when I get a new one I might be able to figure out what I am doing wrong and get my old one working again.

In the mean time I dug out an old computer and installed Linux on it because windows XP wasn't really working right anyway.

[FAQ]
Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Admin

Your USB drive could be corrupt. Go to Fry's or other pick up a small brand name GB drive.

I have many T Drives. Ie PNY from Amazon.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Admin

I tried two different usb drives and neither one of them worked, it's possible another usb drive would work, but I am getting tired of messing with it.

One thing I just realized is that my computer crashed and for the first time ever I didn't lose anything, because the chromebox keeps almost everything stored for you in your google account,
so when you log on with a different machine it's all right there.
That is pretty handy.

[FAQ]