Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > Computer Help
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 08-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of
Default What Should I Do With My Old Windows XP Computer?

Something happened to my chromebox and I tried a couple times to reload the software and it didn't work so I am moving on at this point.

I plan to buy another chromebox off eBay but if I sign up for a credit card and spend a certain amount each month then the credit card company will give me a sign up bonus after three months, between $100 and $500.
So I am waiting for my new credit card before I buy another chromebox, that way I get it for free.

while I am waiting I dug out an old computer from under a pile of stuff.

It is an HP Pavilion a250n
2.6 Ghz
512k sdram
120Gb hard drive
Intel Pentium 4 - (I think it has two processors)
and it has a dvd and cd burner in it.

my chromebox was a dual-core Intel Celeron (Haswell) 2995U or 2957U processor running at 1.4GHz.

so this HP has the potential to run faster than my chromebox if I can set it up and get it to work.

1st Try

So I went to "Arnold the bat" (you can google it if your interested) he keeps very current updates to a generic chromium browser and you can download them from his site, I tried a couple of his chromium files and none of them worked on my computer.

2nd Try

Neverware is a company who is trying to help you set up the chromium OS on your computer. If for school they charge $15 a year for support and for a business they charge $49 a year for support. For home use it's free, but you get no support.
If your running Linux and your not a real serious computer geek, then your probably going to need the support.

I am not able to run the Chromebook Recovery Utility so I have to try another computer or something.

my xp computer has chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 m and chrome really does not like it that I am running XP
and it just keeps telling me An error has occurred.

I found another computer with windows 7 and it has chrome Version 52.0.2743.116 m
this worked, so it looks like you must be using a newer version of chrome.

I created the usb drive with the chromium operating system on it and it does the same thing
system repairing itself, then it reboots.

Checked Googles site http://www.google.com/chromebook/ to see if they had any information that would be helpful, they tell you to go buy your chromebox at Walmart or some other stores, that just seems funny to me.

After lots of searching it looks like Chrome was written so that does not work with Intel M Class Pentium chips, which is the one I happen to have.

Success

I tried Neverware Chrome on another computer with a Intel Q9400 and also an AMD computer with 8 cores, both worked like a charm.

So now I am back on the internet with my Q9400 computer, which seems to work pretty good. It does not boot as fast or shutdown as fast as the chromebox, and it uses a lot more electricity to run, and it also makes some noise like a jet engine taking off when it gets warm.

Decision time - I can probably live with the higher power consumption but I would really like to cut down on the noise, so if I keep using this computer I need to figure out how to make it much more quiet,
or just buy another chromebox.

Update:

I have tried the USB drive on 4 different computers, and it has worked on all of them except the one with the Intel M Class Pentium processor, so 3 out of 4 is pretty good.

The last one I tried was an older Dell Optiplex 755 which is an older computer, but it runs great.

2nd Update:

It has been just over a week and I have been using my Intel Q9400 with chromium and it has been working about like my chromebox did only the processor is a tiny bit faster and every once in a while I notice the difference.

So I have decided to keep it this way and not buy another chromebox right now. It uses more power, but probably it doesn't cost all that much to run it for a year?
I am starting to get used to the noise, but I still want to look into something to make it less noisy.

I looked on craigslist and found a similar computer to the one I have for sale for $20 so it's very cheap to get one of these up and working.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those that understand binary and those that don't.

[FAQ]
Old 08-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Admin

Webscout has disabled reputation

I don't know what to say so I won't say anything.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 AM
Admin

Dude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud ofDude has much to be proud of

The big take away is that a lot of websites only work well with the latest browsers,
many of Linux operating systems leave you with older browsers unless you have one of the latest distributions that are updated on a regular schedule, and for those you need a pretty fast computer.

So if you have an older computer and you want to really use the internet then you need something that will run a current browser, and the chromium operating system will do that, and do it pretty good with a computer that can be as much as 5 to 7 years old. (that's a guess I didn't actually check)

I decided I can live with the slow startup and shutdown, I just need to work on how to make a computer less noisy.

[FAQ]
Old 08-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Admin

Webscout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I decided I can live with the slow startup and shutdown, I just need to work on how to make a computer less noisy.
Have you tried earplugs?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Admin

no, I was thinking more along the lines of a water cooled cpu or one with larger fins and a less noisy fan.

[FAQ]